Chrome

Blehh... I was offline for more than 7 days. True nightmare.
There was some important changes in the open-source world, example Google's web-browser.

Chrome is another web-browser in the browsers war. It has tabs, like Mozilla, quick dial like Opera, and the other similar properties... As you can read on KDE related blogs, some things are missing from the announcement, example: they mention Apple's WebKit, Mozilla's Firefox but nothing about KDE/KHTML. Google is known about their great web-services, Gmail, Blogger, Google search, Picassa, iGoogle, my guess is that they have more complex plans than a new web-browser, maybe a platform or an operating system... And finally I've found some unfamiliar things in Terms of Service:
... By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. ...
Read more about this.
So, at this time Chrome have - at my browsers list. I hope they'll change the terms in future.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was exicited when I saw that Chrome is finally released. What I've got was a very nice GUI, a set of simple and user friendly options, a cool task manager, and the ability too save my browser on a tab crash.
What I've got also, but I didn't want is the constant disk activity when I start Chrome. It is maybe because of low physical memory, when Chrome writes to the page file, but firefox, opera, or ie does not have similar "features" :)

akoskm said...

As Google said in the announcement, parts of their browser from other open-source projects.
For example the "very nice GUI" is one "remake" of iFox 3.0.3 Mozilla - Firefox theme. ;) After crash saving is included also in Mozilla (as I know from 3.X<).
So, I can't find anything new in Chrome, I'll stay at my opinion. Simple: Google made a browser for their own applications and services. Mozilla is still on the top of the most popular web-browsers. And it is open-source also.

akoskm said...

Oh, and of course kwar, thanks for your activity. Good to, know: I'm not the only reader of my own blog. :)